My main areas of teaching are twentieth century German culture, German film and media, and various aspects of German mass culture, urban culture, and visual culture. Most of my teaching is interdisciplinary and comparative in approach and concerned primarily with the relationship between culture and politics; hence the focus on the Weimar Republic, the Third Reich, and the German Democratic Republic (GDR).
Select German and General Humanities Courses
UGS 303 Anti-Americanism
UGS 393 The Fascist Aesthetic
GSD 361 GDR Culture
GSD 361 Film and Fascism
GSD 327 Berlin, World City
GER 363 Classics of German Cinema
GER 392 The Modern Metropolis
- Bradley Boovy: “Gay Men and the Culture of the Closet in West Germany, 1949-1969” (2009-12). Currently Assistant Professor at Oregon State University.
- Berna Gueneli: “Fatih Akin as Postnational Auteur In a Transnational Europe” (2008-11). Currently Assistant Professor at the University of Georgia, Athens.
- Jan Uelzmann: “Adenauer’s Bonn: The Bonn Republic under Adenauer in Literature, Photography, and Film” (2008-11). Currently Assistant Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.
- Mariana Ivanova: “DEFA and East European Cinemas: Transnational Exchange, Artistic Collaborations and Co-Productions” (2008-11). Currently Assistant Professor at Miami University Oxford, OH.
- Christelle Lafacheur (co-directed with David Crew): “Defining Nazi Film. The Film Press and the Cinematic Project, 1933-1945.” (2006-12). Currently Research Associate, Briscoe Center for American History.
- Lee Holt (co-directed with David Crew): “Mountains, Mountaineering, and Modernity” (2005-8). Currently freelance translator in Berlin.
- Martin Kley: “All Work and No Play? Labor, Literature and Industrial Modernity on the Weimar Left” (2004-8). Currently Academic Director, CIEE Global Institute, Berlin.